Giving and Winning
Another year of business at Raining Rose has meant another fundraising campaign for United Way. Serving five counties in Iowa’s eastern region, United Way of East Central Iowa strives to break the cycle of poverty and build stronger communities, focusing on three main areas: education, financial stability, and health.
United Way has meant a lot to our company from the beginning — not just because the people involved do life-changing work, but also because that life-changing work has affected us personally. Art Christoffersen, the late business partner of our current CEO, Chuck Hammond, saw his single mother struggle to raise her children when he was young and felt determined to support programs that would help others like her. After his passing, Chuck wanted to honor Art by maintaining the momentum when it came to supporting this organization. To read more about our United Way journey, read this PromoCares feature story.
As for our campaign this year, which spanned October and November, we had wonderful success! It consisted of many fun events:
- Kickoff Lunch – Employees had the opportunity to make a one-time or recurring donation.
- Penny Wars – Departments competed against other departments to raise the most money (pennies were positive and silver coins were negative).
- Flea Market – Employees donated gently used items for other employees to purchase.
- Pancake Breakfast – Pancakes were served in our break room for $1/piece.
- All Naturals T-Shirt Sale – Employees could purchase T-shirts featuring our company band.
- BINGO – Employees filled out a BINGO sheet that prompted them to get to know co-workers.
- Chili Cook-Off & Bake Sale – Volunteers made chili and any employee could pay $5 to taste and vote for their favorite; volunteers brought baked goods for anyone to buy for $1 each.
- Ice Cream Party & Raffle – Employees were served ice cream as a thank you for participating and also turned in their United Way cards to receive raffle tickets (stamps represented event participation); we had roughly 30 prize packages for employees to choose from, including product baskets, gift cards to local restaurants, tickets to athletic events, and more!
- Live Prize Drawing – We drew raffle tickets to determine the winner of each package prize, and employees were able to attend!
We could not be more thrilled by the results! Between our events and individual donations, we raised a grand fundraising total of more than $52,000 — well over our $50,000 goal!
To learn more about United Way of East Central Iowa and the impact it’s making, visit this website.